2-year-old Indiana Boy Shoots Himself Lethally As His Mom Takes Care Of His Infant Sister
It's the sort of crushing news nobody needs to hear — a 2-year-old kid in Indiana found a stacked weapon inside his home and shot himself while his mom was in the following room. As per Indiana State Police, the kid, Leighton Owings, passed on at the clinic in the wake of being struck by a single bullet.
A 2-year-old baby in Indiana discovered a loaded pistol inside his residence
A 2-year-old baby in Indiana discovered a loaded pistol inside his residence and fired himself when his mom was in the next room. It's the sort of shocking news no one ever needs to know. The child, Leighton Owings, died in the hospital after being shot by a single bullet, as per the Indiana State Police.
Police continue to evaluate the issue that led to the death of the child, although early information shows that his mom was feeding Leighton's baby sister in the next room.
Unfortunately, this sort of thing exists all too often
It's a tragic occurrence that illustrates how essential it is for people who own guns to lock up their arms while kids live at home. Unfortunately, this sort of thing exists all too often.
It is unbelievably tragic to learn about any young child's demise. It feels much more tragic when death should possibly have been stopped. Whether there was a pistol where such a small baby could find it is unclear. Yet the police continue to investigate.
To help the family, a GoFundMe campaign has been arranged
To help the family, a GoFundMe campaign has been arranged, including Leighton's mum, Caci Seals, Raelynn, her baby daughter, and Noah Collins, her fiancé. The memorials on the website have been coming in. "We are all so very saddened by the sudden loss of this sweet sweet boy," said Amber Wilson the sister of Noah Collins who began the fundraiser.
A 36-year-old man was charged with second-degree murder and second-degree cruelty to minors
It's so difficult to learn about these events, but what's even more disturbing is that the death of Leighton occurred just days after a 5-year-old Georgian girl was killed when an adult was in another bedroom after engaging with a handgun in a hallway. In that scenario, for leaving the weapons unattended, a 36-year-old man was charged with second-degree murder and second-degree cruelty to minors.
Between March and April, there was a 43 per cent rise in such shootings
This year, with more persons staying at home, the number of accidental shootings by children has risen. Between March and April, there was a 43 per cent rise in such shootings relative to such months in the previous three years. It's a very big swing in the wrong way, particularly because groups like Moms Demand Action have been trying extremely hard to educate the masses about gun safety.
It appears that in this case there could have been some neglect on the part of the parents
The community is saddened by the loss of this boy. He is lovingly defined on the GoFundMe page as "smart, funny and fun to be around." It also says "He loves his family and loved life."
Although it appears that in this case there could have been some neglect on the part of the parents, the circumstance may not be more disastrous. Any mom knows the chaos in the house of raising a child and an infant. It's always a requirement to slip into the next room to nurse your child. The unthinkable existed in this situation.
It feels that these events are almost endlessly in the press
An 11-year-old boy in Woodbridge, California, fatally shot himself in another horrifying incident. It took place when he was at home studying online, as per Mom's Demand Action. A week before that, a 12-year-old boy shot and killed a friend of the same age in Henderson, North Carolina. It feels that these events are almost endlessly in the press.
Eventually, when it comes to gun control, this tragic event encourages people to understand how important it is to take all the necessary precautions
It is unbearable to think about what, after the tragedy of their child, this poor family must go through. Eventually, when it comes to gun control, this tragic event encourages people to understand how important it is to take all the necessary precautions. That becomes infinitely more meaningful when kids are living at home.