A Man Nearly Died From Biting His Fingernails

Posted by Sughra Hafeez in Bizarre On 8th May 2018
ADVERTISEMENT

Nail biting is a super common habit that can wreak havoc on your health, after reading this you will stop biting your nails.

ADVERTISEMENT

Contracted sepsis

The 28-year-old dad-of-two Luke Hanoman from Merseyside, England, nearly died after he contracted deadly sepsis from biting his fingernails.

ADVERTISEMENT

Luke was rushed to hospital after the operator told him he had 24 hours to get to A&E.

Hanoman was rushed to the hospital with a high fever and red lines across his body. He developed a flu-like that became more severe as the days went on after biting the skin around his finger. He was completely unaware of the fact an infection was spreading through his blood.

ADVERTISEMENT

He's speaking out to help raise awareness about the condition.

He said: "I used to bite my nails all the time. It was a nervous thing. And one day I bit the skin down the side of my nail. It hurt a bit but I didn’t think anything of it."

'I started going really weird and I couldn’t focus.'

"I was at work throughout the week and started to get flu-like symptoms which were gradually getting worse. I had cold sweats, I was shaking, and then going hot. And then my finger started swelling up and I had this unbearable throbbing."

ADVERTISEMENT

Lucky to be alive

Hanoman’s sepsis infection was successfully treated with antibiotics. He said: “It was quite scary, I was on 24-hour observation with two drips in my arms constantly. They told me I was lucky to make it so long. I was close to septic shock. The doctors and nurses were really good. They didn’t tell me how bad it was because I think they were trying not to worry me too much. When I was feeling better they told me I was lucky to be alive.”

Hanoman told The Sun.

"I had no idea what sepsis was and I had no idea about the symptoms to look out for, There needs to be a lot more awareness. I think it’s important people know that it can target anyone at any age."

ADVERTISEMENT

He added:

"Eventually, they got to the infection in my finger and all of this puss came out. I’ve never seen so much puss before."

ADVERTISEMENT

Founder and pharmacist at Chemist-4-U.com, Shamir Patel, said:

"It’s really important for us to try and raise awareness of an illness that kills so many people, yet still lacks public awareness. Luke didn’t know about the symptoms, but thankfully he received help in time."

The medical director of the Sepsis Alliance, Dr. Steven Simpson, told BuzzFeed:

"Waiting too long [to get antibiotics] is dangerous. When you have this kind of symptoms, people need to seek medical attention. A simple little local infection should not give you fevers and chills, it should not make you shiver."

ADVERTISEMENT

He added:

"If you get that really tender area around your nail bed or around your cuticle, and it’s really tender and you start seeing the redness creep up your finger, you should get attention now. Antibiotics now could be a lifesaver."

ADVERTISEMENT