Baby Suffers From Severe Chemical Burns After Mom Leaves Dehumidifier Too Close To The Crib

Posted by Sama in Heartbreaking On 2nd February 2018

Baby Logan burned his body after he spilled oil from a dehumidifier, causing severe chemicals burns. Jessica Stoker, 20 shaken by her son's near-death experience took to social media to beware moms of dangerous consequences of keeping dehumidifier near their child's bed. Stoker also called out the company in her post for not having a clear warning on the product and endangering her child's life due to their careless behavior.

#1 Crib Covered In Greasy Oil

Jessica Stoker, 20 woke up in the middle of the night hearing cries of her 16-month old baby boy. Worried, mom went to her son's room and she was horrified to find his crib covered in greasy substance. She immediately spotted a dehumidifier that is kept on the windowsill near her baby's crib.

#2 Logan Doused In Oil

To her utmost horror, the child somehow was able to grab the dehumidifier from his crib and spilt the oil on himself. It wasn't until Stoker saw her son's crib doused in oil that she realized dehumidifiers apart from water also contain oil.

#3 Severe Chemical Burns

Baby Martin's wailing cries were increasing with time and the tensed parents immediately rushed him to the hospital where the doctor told them their child has got severe chemical burns from the oil. The 20-year old mother took to social media to raise awareness about the dangers of keeping dehumidifier close to their child's crib and warn the mom of its scary consequences.

#4 80% Of Body Burnt

Stoker says her child is now at home and recovering but because of the horrifying incident her son's 80% of the body is burnt and he is in a lot of pain. Her Facebook post read, "I heard Logan crying and went in to see if he was okay. At first, I thought he might just be having a whinge because he's always a bit groggy when he wakes up but he was really wet. I thought maybe his nappy had leaked but when I picked him up my hands were getting itchy. He was soaked with this greasy, oily liquid."

"I quickly started taking his clothes off and when I saw his skin was like 'oh my god'. He was completely red raw all over. He looked like he'd been burnt - like a really, really bad sunburn. Then I saw the dehumidifier in his bed. The only thing I can think happen is that he managed to pull it down off the windowsill overnight."

#5 Instructors Also Confused Logan's Burns With An Allergy

Recalling the incident in her post, Stoker says her son's body was so red that it looked like he was sunburned. Upon calling the emergency services, the instructor also told her that Logan might have an allergic reaction as they also believed that dehumidifiers contain only water. But they later called her to confirm her fears and Stoker was told her son has got chemical burns and he needs immediate medical care, "I put Logan in a bath to try to calm his skin down and I called 111. At first, they said it might be an allergic reaction because there's only water in dehumidifiers which is what I thought,” the shocked mom said. “But then they called me back and told us to come to A&E. One of the nurses had found some information about there being chemicals in dehumidifiers."

#6 Felt Guilty For Keeping The Dehumidifier Near Her Baby's Bed

Calling her partner in an emergency, the parents rushed their son to the hospital, "Nick rushed back from work and took us to the hospital where they rushed us straight through. The doctor told us Logan had chemical burns,” she added. “It was awful, he had burns over 80 per cent of his body. I felt horrible, I felt so guilty for keeping it in his room and I didn't know how much pain he was in or if it was going to scar."

#7 Company Needs To Put Clear Warnings On Their Products

Stoker concluded her post by stating that she hopes the company put their products in market with clear warnings, if she had not reached her child on time the incident could have been much scary and in worse case scenario it could have been fatal, "The companies really need to put bigger warnings on the packaging and be clear about what chemicals are in there. I don't want what happened to Logan happening to anyone else."

Recommended Content

Heartbreaking
Mom Is Dragged From Court After She Lashes Out At Man Accused Of Brutally Killing Her Teenage Sons When He Turns And Smiles At Her
Mom Is Dragged From Court After She Lashes Out At Man Accused Of Brutally Killing Her Teenage Sons When He Turns And Smiles At Her
Heartbreaking
"Storm Chasers" Star Joel Taylor Laid To Rest In Hometown
"Storm Chasers" Star Joel Taylor Laid To Rest In Hometown
Heartbreaking
Mother Shaves Her Daughters Head And Drugs Her In Order To Fake Cancer
Mother Shaves Her Daughters Head And Drugs Her In Order To Fake Cancer
Heartbreaking
Woman Leaves Her Newborn In A Fire Station Under "Safe Haven Law," Gets Praised By People For Making A Responsible Decision
Woman Leaves Her Newborn In A Fire Station Under "Safe Haven Law," Gets Praised By People For Making A Responsible Decision
Heartbreaking
Could These Be The Worst Parents On Earth?
Could These Be The Worst Parents On Earth?
Heartbreaking
This Man Lost His Life After Being Sucked Into An MRI Machine
This Man Lost His Life After Being Sucked Into An MRI Machine
More in Heartbreaking