In Maryland earlier this week, an 11-year-old boy rose to fame after rushing into his burning apartment to save his 2-year-old sister. The brave older brother claims he wouldn't be able to cope with it if he didn't make an effort to save his sister.
Brave 11-Year-Old Boy Rescues 2-year-Old Sister From Apartment Fire
A courageous 11-year-old boy helped rescue his two-year-old sister after their apartment complex caught on fire on Tuesday. According to WLBT, the Maryland apartment building caught fire at roughly 6:00 PM as a result of what authorities have determined to be an unintended electrical fault.
Laprentis Doughty, the brave 11-year-old, was aware that he needed to act swiftly because his sister, who was only two years old, was currently stuck inside the flat.
Laprentis left the building before learning his younger sister was still there, according to investigators. Then, in an effort to save her, he dashed back inside and up to the second level.
"If I didn’t save my sister, I would be mad at myself because I could’ve saved her easily. I could have saved her, and I would risk my life for my sister," he said. "I feel good that my sister’s alive today. I feel happy that Thanksgiving is tomorrow."
Laprentis' mom Keishuana Banks is extremely thankful for her son's bravery. "I feel bad because I don’t know how to reward him right now. I praise him and let him know, ‘Do you know you did a good job?’ But I’m still trying to process everything. I’m still in shock," she explained.
As per a GoFundMe post, Keishuana got an ominous phone call while shopping for Thanksgiving dinner at the grocery store where the fire started. "omw (on my way) home my best friend called screaming for me to hurry home [because] my house is on fire."
Laprentis has been recognized for his bravery by Salisbury Mayor Jake Day: "As a mayor, I’m always looking for citizens who are selfless, citizens who are willing to lead, and we’ve got one right here," he said.
An approximated $250,000 in structural damage and another $40,000 in material damage were brought on by the fire.
For the time being, Laprentis and his family are lodging in a hotel and receiving assistance from the American Red Cross. A GoFundMe campaign has been created to raise money for the family, and as of this writing, $6,650 has been donated to it.