Heartbreaking: Mom Joked To 22-Year Old Daughter On Text Message 'Are You Alive?' Before Tragically Finding Her Unresponsive From Accidental Overdosing
On 30th March 2021
Maria never would have imagined that her daughter's last night message of telling her that she loves her would be her last time. The devastated mom shares her ordeal of finding her 22-year old daughter unresponsive due to an accidental overdose at her home in Oxfordshire.
A mom jokingly texted her daughter 'are you alive?' before horrifyingly finding her dead in her home.
Reportedly, Genina Monaghan, 22, accidentally overdosed at her home in Oxfordshire last year on June 18.
As per the girl's mother, her daughter had originally taken a day off to watch a concert performance of the band My Chemical Romance in Milton Keynes. However, the concert was canceled because of the pandemic lockdown.
Maria Marshall believed her daughter was just resting at home after the concert cancellation and around 4 she texted her 'are you alive?'
Maria was then left stumped after she walked into her daughter's bedroom and found her 22-year old unresponsive.
Maria immediately called emergency services to her daughter's place but she was informed that her daughter had passed away just after 5 pm.
In a statement to the coroner staff from the South Central Ambulance Service said: "We arrived and Genina’s legs were hanging off the bed.
"Her next of kin had said the patient had been slightly irritable in the last few days, due to a cancelled concert."
Heartbroken mom told the inquest in Oxford: "In the weeks before her death, Genina was sick several times.
"She told me it was down to her gallbladder issues.
"She had been throwing up every now and then due to her gallstones, the most recent was on June 16."
Genina reportedly told her mum that she had not sought treatment because she did not want to have a conversation about losing weight with her GP.
"It upset her," Maria told the inquest.
"The day before her death she had a sore stomach, she was on the sofa and I had gone to the shop because she had asked for chocolate.
"Every now and then she called me into the living room to pat and stroke her head."
Genina then headed for a shower after feeling unwell and just after 10 pm, she texted her mom: "Could you get the landing light, thank you, love you."
Maria went on: "The next morning I had a delivery man deliver decorating stuff for Genina’s bedroom and at some point I went to town.
"When I came back she was still in her room which was not unusual.
"At 4.45pm I turned on the oven for dinner and I sent a text saying ‘are you alive?’ thinking she was just having a "bed day".
Devastated mom then added: "I found her lying on her back unresponsive, I rang 999 but I knew she had passed away," her mum added.
Assistant coroner for Oxfordshire, Joanna Coleman, reported that the young woman had died from an accidental overdose.