Willie, a Quaker parrot, has been recognized as a hero after his cries of alarm helped alert his owner in the U.S. when a little girl choked on her breakfast. In an acknowledgment of his life-saving actions, Willie was honored with the Animal Lifesaver Award by the Denver Red Cross chapter.
How Hero Parrot Saved Baby Who Was Choking On Her Breakfast
The Red Cross has recognized a parrot for its heroic actions in saving the life of a toddler.
In November 2009, Megan Howard, the bird's owner and a babysitter, was alerted by Willie's distress calls when she briefly left the room.
The Quaker parrot noticed the toddler, Hannah, choking on her breakfast and began frantically yelling "Mama, baby" while flapping its wings.
Megan quickly returned to the room and discovered the little girl, Hannah, turning blue. Without hesitation, she performed the Heimlich manoeuvre.
The Heimlich manoeuvre is a first aid procedure designed to dislodge an obstruction from a person's windpipe. It involves applying a sudden and strong pressure to the abdomen.
Despite her life-saving actions, Megan humbly credited Willie as the true hero during the Animal Lifesaver Award ceremony held by the Red Cross chapter in Denver, Colorado.
Hannah's mother, Samantha Kuusk, said: "The part where she turned blue is always when my heart drops no matter how many times I've heard it."
"My heart drops in my stomach and I get all teary eyed."
Willie received his well-deserved award at the Breakfast of Champions event.
The event was attended by notable figures, including Governor Bill Ritter and Mayor John Hickenlooper.