Mom Issues A Serious Warning About A Famous Teething Brand After Child Becomes Unresponsive After Taking It
After almost losing her daughter, Virginia mom took to social media to raise awareness among parents regarding the use of a popular teething brand. Danielle Kapetanovic shared her horrifying experience on Facebook and warns parents to not use the product if they don't want to see their kid's health compromised.
#1 Worst Fear Is Seeing Your Child In Pain
It is not easy to raise a child. Everytime time you look at your baby, you feel this need to protect your child from all the harm in the world. You make a silent promise to your self every night you see your little one sleeping that you are going to protect him from every evil eye and will go to any end to keep him safe. Your worst fear is seeing your child in pain or seeing your child's health compromised and you live with this fear day and night. What happens if your worst fear comes true and your child's health is compromised and all through this none of it is your fault.
#2 Virginia Mom Gave Her Daughter A Popular Teething Product To Relieve Her From Restlessness
Parents are super careful when giving their kids any sort of remedy or supplements. Danielle Kapetanovic, a Virginia mom like any other parent selected the best teething product for her little one and gave it to her daughter. Little did Danielle knew that this product will almost claim her child's life.
#3 Danielle Almost Lost Her Daughter To The Incident
Shaken by the incident, Danielle took to social media to share her experience and warn all the parents the hazards of using the product. The young mom claims she gave her daughter Orajel and her daughter immediately turned blue and stopped breathing.
#4 Danielle Took To Social Media To Raise Awareness Among The Public
Mom wrote, "I don’t like to put personal information related to my kids out there but I feel compelled to warn other parents about the risk of using Baby Orajel. Chloe is 15 months and teething. Someone I know recommended trying Baby Orajel on her gums to alleviate some of her discomfort. I bought the nighttime version as seen in the picture and right before her bedtime decided to apply it. The directions say apply a 'pea size,' I put less than a pea size on my finger and applied it to her gums."
#5 In A Matter Of Few Seconds, Chloe Became Unresponsive
Next thing Danielle saw was her baby struggling to breathe and becoming unresponsive in a matter of few seconds, "Chloe immediately turned red, started kicking, got one or two screams in, and 10-15 seconds after the Orajel touched her gums she became unresponsive. Her eyes locked in a dead stare, she became limp and stopped breathing. She turned blue. I grabbed her and put her against my body, hitting her back trying to wake her up, but no response. I ran her down the hall to my bed and lied her down and began breathing into her mouth as Mike called 911."
#6 "It Felt Like An Eternity"
Danielle says it took her daughter almost 15-20 seconds to recover which almost felt like an eternity, "Thankfully she woke up and started screaming and crying after maybe 15-20 seconds in total, which felt like an eternity. The ambulance arrived and EMT’s checked her out and determined she was okay. Unfortunately, I did not know this in advance, but there are many other parents out there who have experienced the exact same occurrence with their own children when using Baby Orajel."
Danielle says it was too late before she realized that same situation like this has happened with a number of parents in the past and for this reason she wants to warn everyone to boycott the product for the sake of their kid's safety, "I found online posts dating back to 2008 from parents with literally the same experience – their baby became unresponsive in seconds, went limp, turned blue, became responsive again after 15 seconds or so – it was like someone wrote my same experience. What’s more, I learned the FDA warns against giving babies Benzocaine – the active ingredient in Baby Orajel."
#7 Danielle Did Extensive Research On The Product
Doing more research on the product, Danielle found that Benzocaine can actually be fatal for kids, her post further read, "The use of benzocaine gels and liquids for mouth and gum pain can lead to a rare but serious—and sometimes fatal—condition called methemoglobinemia, a disorder in which the amount of oxygen carried through the blood stream is greatly reduced. Children under 2 years of age are of particular risk, with almost 80% of reported benzocaine gel related cases of methemoglobinemia having occurred in children under 2."
#8 She Wrote All The Information On Her Social Media Post
Danielle wrote detailed medical research in simple words in her post to help the public understand the health hazards of the product, "Benzocaine products should not be used on children less than two years of age, except under the advice and supervision of a healthcare professional." The FDA’s website states, "Healthcare professionals and consumers are advised to consider the American Academy of Pediatrics’ recommendations for treating teething pain instead of using the benzocaine teething product: give the child a teething ring chilled in the refrigerator, gently rub or massage the child’s gums with your finger to relieve the symptoms of teething in children. If these methods do not provide relief from teething pain, consumers should talk to a healthcare professional to identify other treatments."
#9 The Experience Has Taught Her A Scary Lesson
Danielle says the experience has taught her a scary lesson and she won't be giving her daughter the product in future and hopes that other parents will follow her example in this case, "Chloe has since been checked out by her paediatrician and they think she will be just fine. Unfortunately, her Doctors can’t definitively say if what happened to Chloe was a reaction to the benzocaine in the Baby Orajel vs a ‘breath holding spell,’ or something else."
#10 Danielle's Post Became Viral Overnight
Danielle's post ended with a final warning for the parents, "Please, do not give your children Baby Orajel. The potential temporary relief it may provide your baby from teething is simply not worth the risk. This product is incredibly misleading (look at the age of the child on the box) and should be properly labelled with a large warning or simply removed from the shelves and not advertised for babies. Please don’t put your kids at risk. Please share this post with your friends, especially those with teething babies, so nobody else makes the same mistake."
Danielle's post became viral almost overnight and was shared by the public on various pages to raise awareness about the health risking product.