Mom Shares Heartbreaking Warning To All Parents After Waking Up To Find Her Son Had Died

Posted by Sama in Parenting
ADVERTISEMENT

For Jennifer, sharing the story of her son's death is the most difficult thing in the world. But she still continues to share it with the world in hopes that it will help save the lives of other children and will guide more to the young parents out there, from one grave mistake that unfortunately claimed her child's life.

ADVERTISEMENT

The worst nightmare of every parent is to lose their child. This young mom experienced this tragic pain and took to social media to share a warning for all parents - or anybody who has children in the house - after she tragically woke up one morning to find that her son had passed away over the night.

Although it was heartbreakingly painful for her, Jennifer Ranger of British Columbia was determined to share her story in hopes that it will help save the lives of other children. 

Facebook
ADVERTISEMENT

Jennifer starts the post with a "trigger warning", and then explains: "My son would be 11. He would have celebrated his 11th birthday on July 1st. While the entire nation is celebrating, I'm silently grieving."

Recalling the painful memory of that fateful day of October 16, 2008, the mom writes: "I put my 2-year-old son to bed in his big boy bed which was pushed up against the wall, complete with a bed rail on the side open to the room. I tucked him in and said goodnight

Facebook
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

"I checked on him at 1 am and saw him sleeping soundly facing the bed rail but still in the middle of the bed. I went to sleep myself.

"A little after 8 am, I woke up and went downstairs. He wasn't stirring yet so I took the time to put the coffee on and go to the bathroom."

However, she went to her son's room to check up on him.

"I went into his room to wake him and he wasn't in his bed. As I looked for him, I quickly started to panic and then found him between his bed and his wall, with just his head above the mattress.

Facebook
ADVERTISEMENT

"I pulled the bed away and grabbed him only to find every parent's worst nightmare."

Jennifer explains her child passed away at approximately 3:00 AM at night because of positional asphyxiation.

She explains: "In layman terms, he became wedged between his bed and the wall and was unable to free himself."

 

Per Crisis Prevention, positional asphyxiation (or positional asphyxia) is "a deadly condition that can occur when a person being restrained can’t get enough oxygen. This lack of oxygen can lead to disturbances in the rhythm of the heart."

Facebook
ADVERTISEMENT

Jennifer says that like every mom out there she was doing what she thought was best for her child. She installed a baby camera and a bed rail. 

"Everyone I knew (my own parents included) had pushed their young children's beds up against the walls," she explains.

Jennifer continues: "I can still remember the stinging guilt that hit me when the coroner released the report and my son's cause of death was 'positional asphyxiation secondary to unsafe sleeping arrangements'.

 

Explaining what pushed her to share her story, Jennifer writes: "In light of a recent PSA about baby blankets, I felt like I should tell our story.

"If it saves just one child's life, I will be thankful."

 

Facebook
ADVERTISEMENT

She concludes her heartbreaking post by writing: "Please, make sure your young child's bed is at least 12 inches from other pieces of furniture or walls in their room.

"It may not be aesthetically pleasing, but it is the safest way.

"He was 2. He could climb stairs up and down, he could build towers out of blocks and chase birds, and was learning to swim. You never think it can happen to your child."

 

Facebook
ADVERTISEMENT

Jennifer posted her story for the first time in 2017. Since then her story has been viral on social media and has been tagged by many people to their loved ones. There is no doubt her story will have helped save lives.

Facebook
ADVERTISEMENT