Woman Made Chillingly Calm 911 Call After Being Mauled By A Bear For 30 Minutes

By Editorial Staff in News On 9th July 2024

In a remarkably composed 911 call, a woman who was just mauled by a grizzly bear sought help while the animal was possibly preparing to attack her again.

Back in 2016 in Frederick, Maryland, Karen Osborne, then 63, heard her daughter's dog barking from the neighboring property late one night. Concerned, she took her dog Miles and went to see what was causing the commotion.

Around 9 p.m. as she was checking around the property, a 200lb black bear unexpectedly charged out of the woods towards her.

With no means to defend herself, Karen instinctively dropped to the ground and curled up into as tight a ball as possible.

Karen was attacked by a black bear. Getty Images / Jonathan Newton

Despite her efforts to protect herself, the bear aggressively attacked her, biting her face and throwing her to the ground, she recounted to Inside Edition. 

Follow On Google News

Even after such a terrifying ordeal, Karen managed to retrieve her phone and dialed 911.

The calmness in her voice during this critical moment, captured in the call recording, is nothing short of astonishing.

A YouTube video posted by Inside Edition includes the audio of Karen's emergency call. 

During the call, she detailed her injuries: "I've been attacked by a bear. My arms are broken, my leg is broken I think. I'm chewed up on the back of my head."

She was informed that animal control, police, and an ambulance were on their way. In a particularly heart-wrenching moment, she pleaded, "Please don't leave me."

Follow On X

The call handler assured her that help was coming 'as fast as they can'.

Yet, the tension escalated when asked about the bear's whereabouts.

The sounds of the bear—growling and murmuring—could be heard in the background of the call.

Karen described the chilling scene: "He's behind me and he's snorting and stomping and digging in the ground like he's getting ready to attack.

"I've been attacked by this bear. He's coming back. I'm bleeding and I'm going to die. Please hurry...Oh my God, here he comes."

A GoFundMe page set up for Karen later revealed that the bear attacked her repeatedly over 35 minutes, coming back to her 'four separate times'.

When the authorities finally arrived, they were forced to shoot and kill the bear, and its cub was tranquilized.

Karen remained remarkably calm while on the phone to 911 with the bear still behind her. YouTube / Inside Edition

Miraculously, Karen survived the attack, though she sustained severe injuries, including a broken pelvic bone, a crushed lung, and multiple 'wounds all over [her] body'.

Wildlife officer Paul Pedido explained that the bear likely attacked because Karen had unintentionally come between it and its cub.

Reflecting on the harrowing experience, Karen expressed a newfound wariness: "I don't want to tango with any more bears, I think I've had enough bears."